Print this moving tips checklist and check off tasks as you get them done. Some of these items should be done before the big day. This will save you time and make your moving day practically stress-free.
- Before the Big Day
- Essentials to Pack the Night Before and Keep Handy
- Finally, the Big Day is Here
- Welcome to Your New Home
Before The Big Day
- Get rid of unnecessary clutter. Host a garage sale or donate goods to your favorite charity. Dispose of as much trash as possible before the big day.
- If you are doing your own packing, make sure you label everything in detail, including the contents of each box and the room to which they belong.
- Remember to empty all of your drawers.
Essentials To Pack The Night Before And Keep Handy
- Aspirins and pain relievers
- Basic cleaning supplies and paper towels
- Box cutter or knife
- Change of clothes
- Coffee maker or instant coffee and tea
- Disposable plates, cups and eating utensils
- Extension cords and batteries
- First-aid kit
- Light Bulbs
- Medications and eyeglasses
- Pet supplies
- Plastic Trash Bags
- Screwdriver, wrenches, and hammer
- Tape and dispenser
- Toilet paper
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, razors, etc)
- Toys and games for the kids
- Work gloves
Finally, The Big Day Is Here
- Get a good night’s sleep and have a hearty breakfast.
- Do not pack valuables such as cash, jewelry and important documents. Keep these items with you.
- Remove obstructions from any walkways, and driveways.
- Move potted plants and planters from front porch.
- Remove all rugs, and door mats
- Remove all low hanging items.
- Arrange for someone to take care of the kids and pets during the move.
- Be present to answer any questions the movers may have.
- Carefully read the bill of lading, ask questions as needed, and obtain a copy.
- Accompany the driver as your inventory is prepared. Ask questions and obtain a copy before the driver leaves.
- Review all paperwork with your driver before signing.
- Exchange contact information with driver.
- Check for damaged or missing items and note them before the departure.
- Keep water, soda and snacks on hand for movers. Designate a bathroom for their use.
- Your movers, are working hard, if it’s lunchtime, some pizza for them would be much appreciated.
- Let your movers know about items that require special handling.
- Ask for the truck’s departure time.
- Perform a last sweep of the apartment / house: look through all closets, shelves, cabinets, and walls. Check in the garage, attic, crawlspace, storage unit and under the stairs.
Welcome To Your New Home
- Create a central floor plan or label rooms so items arrive in the right place.
Sit back and relax. Let the Shleppers professionals make your apartment / house a home.
- Have your credit card or certified check ready to pay the movers during unloading.
- For tips, 15% to 20% is a standard tip if you are happy with your movers. You can add the tip to your credit card bill. If you want to tip in cash, keep money on hand and give it to the foreman who will divide it amongst all the members of the crew.